Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Reflections on 20 Years pt5


"Every spring is the only spring - a perpetual astonishment."- Ellis Peters

as·tound·ing

[uh-stoun-ding]
adjective
capable of overwhelming with amazement; stunningly surprising.

as·ton·ish·ment

[uh-ston-ish-muh nt]
noun
1. overpowering wonder or surprise; amazement.
2. an object or cause of amazement.

Is it astounding that I've been doing this for 20 years? Absolutely! This is not my first career. Like many who start on a definite path later finding that maybe there is another path out there to explore. After many years in professional regional theater (Yale Rep, Milwaukee Rep, TheatreVirginia & finally Coconut Grove Playhouse) I found myself searching for a new direction. In November 1992, I was introduced to Nan Rael,  also looking for new challenges, she then introduced me to JoAnn Sweet and a new path sat clearly before us.

In all my years in Theater the longest I had spent in one place was 4 years in Richmond, VA. I didn't really give much thought to longevity during those early stages. Our first lease was very open ended, so who knew where this would lead. What a door was opened! I had already spent years surrounded by incredibly creative people, but here was another world, far more tangible. In the theater we created illusion -- a world only existing in a very finite time. A project begun, completed within months and then on to the next. This new world was filled with incredibly creative people creating lasting, touchable work that could be used and appreciated every day. Not to mention the range of creativity. Walk through the doors of any craft show and see aisle after aisle of work, many made of the same materials but each with the individual stamp of the maker's hands.

Every morning when I walk through the doors, I am filled with astonishment when I look around me at the sight of so much created by so many with so much love for what they do. How can I not be humbled by that?

No comments:

Post a Comment