Tuesday, July 17, 2012

We have a new employee, who started shortly after school ended. Haley is 16 years old & this is her first job. Over the many years I've been doing this (not to mention in my previous life) I've hired many "first timers". It's pretty amazing to have the opportunity to watch someone just starting on a path that often has no set direction. Eventually all move on, but many pop in or keep me posted & a few still work at the store occasionally as their schedules allow. But all have proved to be extraordinary people I am proud to know.


 In any case, Haley & I spent a good part of last Friday exploring glass blowing. Starting with Dale Chihuly's  website, which includes some wonderful video footage. Watching videos at the store is always a bit of a challenge since we have no speakers hooked up, so too much talking heads is a bit pointless. We also found a couple of wonderful videos by our good friends at Art of Fire Contemporary Glass Studio (www.artoffire.com) in Laytonsville. While I'm sure there is some great narration included, we still were able to follow along & gain even more appreciation for the art of blowing glass. 

I think the next time Haley works we'll look for some videos of ceramic artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment